Every experience in life is an opportunity to learn and COVID-19 is no different. Here’s what I have observed so far.
- Going online with our programs has been good in that more people from across Canada get to participate.
- I don’t have to work so hard and taking a break is OK.
- I have dropped the guilt when I take a nap.
- With this new-found time I have been able to finish my book.
On the home front
- I can cook dinner in a relaxed way, rather than just rushing to put food on the table.
- I can innovate – no rolling pin – a jar, no cookie cutter – top of a mason jar.
- We need to declutter.
- We don’t need more stuff. We have everything we need, right here, right now.
- My weekly trip to do grocery shopping is exhausting.
- Being outside, walking in nature, calms you.
- It is never too late to learn new things – painting my tree of life
- Learning different ways to stay active – yoga, zumba – and liking it
- Just a daily conversation with a friend lightens my mood and takes the edge off my sense of isolation
- I have the attention span of a gnat right now. Large books don’t always get finished. Short and sweet does better right now, in fact books on my Kindle work best.
- Someone is always worse off than you – reach out and help.
- When I was feeling down, good friends reached out to check on me. Thank you.
- Everyone is busy working on their own issues.
- A surprise phone call can brighten your day.
- My daily humour posts on social media have garnered me some new friends – bonus.
- I really miss hugging and seeing my kids and friends.
What about you? What have you learned about yourself during these weeks of social isolation?
Company of Women
I have had an eclectic career from running non-profit organizations and being editor of a national magazine, to working for government on women’s issues. In 2003 I launched Company of Women, an organization that supports women in business. A prolific blogger, I also write for the Huffington Post, and several other online publications. I am the author of five books on women and entrepreneurship, and co-author of Good Enough. Embrace who you are. Unleash your brilliance. which is available on amazon.ca In June, 2016 I launched Full Circle Publishing offering one-stop services to get your words out into the world.