One of the biggest fears that career women normally have is their inability to get noticed by their boss, especially when it’s time for promotion. They are worried that they will be stuck in their current position and will not have the chance to hold a leadership position. Unfortunately, many companies also lack the resources or funding for the professional development or training of their staff. For women in the workplace, a bigger challenge for them is how they could grow, improve, and develop as professionals.
If this is the same concern that you are having, perhaps it’s time that you rely on nobody for your career development and personal growth. Read the tips below on how you could become the kind of leader that you want to be.
- Deal with your colleagues and managers with integrity and enhance your leadership attitude. Showing your leadership attitude to your coworkers is one way of proving to your managers you are worthy of a promotion. It is important also that you show discipline by strictly complying with company policies. Be committed to your work and always remember that you are being watched both by your colleagues and your managers.
- Understand your own strengths. How confident you are with yourself can be determined by how well you know your own strengths and weaknesses. To become a good female leader, you shouldn’t try to be someone else. You have to figure out what makes you special and find ways to make others see it. Don’t get intimidated by men especially, because you’ve got things they certainly don’t have.
- Be an expert at time management. One very important skill that every leader should have is time management. It is crucial that you are organized and disciplined enough to finish your tasks and complete your projects on time. Keep in mind that being a leader, the way you manage your time has a direct impact on how productive your team will be. If your coworkers witness your inability to manage your time properly, they will find no reason to look up to you.
- Educate yourself more about men. There is no doubt that women female leaders are pressured to work in a male dominated workplace. You should be prepared to deal with stereotypes and gender expectations. For you to overcome these challenges, you should try to know what it is exactly that keeps men motivated at work. This way, you can gradually establish respect and trust with your male colleagues or subordinates.
- Find someone to coach or mentor. A coach is someone who helps others realize their strengths and potential. By becoming someone else’s mentor, you are setting yourself as a good example of a leader. Teaching a mentee about career management is an effective way of showing your competence as a leader.
Cosmic Coaching Center
Cecile Peterkin is a certified career and retirement coach, and a registered member of the Career Professionals of Canada and the International Coach Federation. She is also the Founder and Senior Career Strategist at Cosmic Coaching Center, provider of career and life management services for middle managers and mid-career professionals across Canada, United States and Europe