“It is not the strongest of the species that survive. Nor the most intelligent, but one most responsive to change.”
What is happening right now is scary. There is no denying that this whole pandemic and subsequent lockdown could last for months, not weeks, as we first thought. It’s a world that we don’t know and the future seems unclear. It is that lack of clarity that drives the fear.
But we have some choices.
1. Do as requested. We can decide we want to beat this and adhere to social distancing.
2. Plan to pivot. We can take a long term view, and as business owners, use this time at home to reflect, be proactive and think through how we can pivot, provide meaning and change what we are doing now to meet the needs in the future. This may be the time to learn new skills so you can make the shift.
3. Stay positive. Fine-tune your sense of humour and reach out to support each other. When I was undergoing chemo, I could be found at the hospital laughing out loud. Why? I brought books of cartoons.
So now I am on a mission to find laughs for each day. Watch Facebook and LinkedIn. It’s a smile a day, courtesy of Anne Day.
4. Practice gratitude. I have been using some of my time to de-clutter and reflecting on how fortunate I am.
5. Stay strong for each other. Last but not least, this is like World War 2, when we believed that together we have strength, if we hang in and stay strong for each other. We will overcome. We will learn and grow from this experience.
We can rise above this Canada. We have to… not just for ourselves, but for our children.
Company of Women
I have had an eclectic career from running non-profit organizations and being editor of a national magazine, to working for government on women’s issues. In 2003 I launched Company of Women, an organization that supports women in business. A prolific blogger, I also write for the Huffington Post, and several other online publications. I am the author of five books on women and entrepreneurship, and co-author of Good Enough. Embrace who you are. Unleash your brilliance. which is available on amazon.ca In June, 2016 I launched Full Circle Publishing offering one-stop services to get your words out into the world.