Sugar is so yummy and sweet. Sugar tastes great with just about anything. The problem is, it is in just about everything. If you haven’t noticed, check out the ingredient listings on some of the food products you buy. Sugar includes any of the following: fructose, lactose, galactose, sucrose, glucose, dextrose (or anything ending in ‘ose’), dextrin, juice, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, sugar, maple syrup, and I’m sure I’ve missed some.
Effects of Sugar
1. Regular refined white sugar acts more like a drug than a food because the minerals the body requires to digest sugar (Chromium, Manganese, Cobalt, Copper, Zinc and Magnesium) have been removed. As a result the body must use its own reserves of these minerals to process it resulting in depletion.
2. Researchers have also found that the rate of Calcium excretion increases with sugar consumption. Take this fact a little further; if excretion increases, then our bodies must then take Calcium from our bones in order to bring the body’s blood calcium levels back in balance. Taking a calcium supplement is not the answer – eliminate the cause.
3. Enzymes require minerals in order to digest foods. Because sugar creates an imbalance in mineral levels, digestion can malfunction, leading to food allergies. The body will also be less able to break down proteins (into amino acids -> which are essential building blocks of hormones (eg. Thyroid, insulin).
4. Because the thyroid plays a part in regulating blood sugar levels, it can become exhausted resulting in a slow metabolism (eg. low blood pressure, constipation).
5. Sugar also has a negative effect on the immune system. In recent studies, they found that the amount of bacteria destroyed by the immune system decreases. In other words, the immune system becomes sleepy (peaking at 2 hours after digestion). One teaspoon can actually turn the immune system off for up to 6 hours.
6. Candida, an organism in our intestinal tract, also overgrows due to sugar. By secreting its’ own weaker form of estrogen it blocks our own causing deficiency.
Watch for any ‘sugar free’ claims. It usually means it contains aspartame. Did you know it kills ants and breaks down in our body to formaldehyde – a cancer causing item? Other risky sugar substitutes include Sweet n Low, Nutrasweet, Equal or Splenda/sucralose (a mix of chlorine and sugar). In fact did you know that many of these substitutes stimulate certain brain cells to death – literally! Also watch out for dark chocolate. Many of these are just ‘compound chocolates’ made of vegetable fats, sugar and some cocoa without much of any healthy ‘dark’ chocolate at all.
Did You Know
- Sugar contributes to osteoporosis
- Some medications contain sugar
- Many meats are injected with sugar to add flavour and colour
- Corn flakes are one of the worst cereals items in the Glycemic Index
- Some salt contains sugar as an ingredient
- Sugar can impair DNA
- What I recommend: Stevia, Brown Rice Syrup, Maple Syrup, Raw Honey, Sucanat, Date Sugar, Xylitol