With the start of a new year, many of us are setting goals for what we want to achieve in the year ahead. So how do you make sure that you see the results you want. Here are some tips on how to stay on track and succeed in 2018.
- Write it down.As soon as your goal is down on paper, you are much more likely to make it happen. It’s now out there, waiting for you to achieve.
- Surround yourself with supporters. Make sure that you have people on your side who will not only help you get there but will cheer you on or redirect you when you fall off track.
- Break it down into small chunks. When you have hairy audacious goals, you may need to take it all one step at a time. Building each action on the next so you reach your destination. Baby steps as one woman said recently.
- Accountability buddy. When you pair up with someone else and you each share your goals, then you have someone who will hold you accountable and be there to remind you of your end goal when you feel overwhelmed and about to give up.
- Don’t forget the obvious. At a recent meeting, I shared that I wanted to recruit more sponsors for our annual conference. “Ask the members” was one piece of advice. Well yeah – as they are the ones who will gain the most and are invested in the outcome. Is there someone you already know who could help you move forward?
- Set priorities. If you have ambitious goals, you may need to tackle one at a time, rather than jumping in at the deep end and sinking because you are overwhelmed and have taken on too much.
- Measure your results. This may sound like the obvious, but how do you know if you are getting there if you don’t track the numbers and compare how you are doing from one month to the next.
- Be prepared to pivot. As you work on your goals, you may find that your initial goal may not, in fact, be what you want or what you can achieve. When you are flexible, you can take advantage of opportunities that may present themselves along the way. It’s not a failure to change your mind.
- Collaborate. Perhaps in order to achieve what you want, you will get there faster if you partner up with someone else. Just check that you have similar end goals in mind, or the partnership could go sour when you find out that you want different and diverse results.
- Review. Take time to review your goals. Are you on track? Is this still something you still want to achieve? It’s OK to change your mind. Plus life happens and that can change what we want and what we can realistically achieve.
- Do your homework. Before you embark on a long-term goal, do your homework and check out if you have all the resources in place to make it happen. You may have to hire someone with different expertise to yourself in order to achieve a goal.
- Celebrate. Don’t forget to celebrate your successes along the way.
Company of Women
I have had an eclectic career from running non-profit organizations and being editor of a national magazine, to working for government on women’s issues. In 2003 I launched Company of Women, an organization that supports women in business. A prolific blogger, I also write for the Huffington Post, and several other online publications. I am the author of five books on women and entrepreneurship, and co-author of Good Enough. Embrace who you are. Unleash your brilliance. which is available on amazon.ca In June, 2016 I launched Full Circle Publishing offering one-stop services to get your words out into the world.